"Dental" Implants and the like  

Posted by Sheila Schroyer

About three years ago, I set about a journey to obtain some 'pretty teeth.' You see, I grew up with ugly spaced out wacked out teeth. My bite was all wrong, they hit each other when I chewed, my gums would expand and get sore. Most of all, I had this big space between my two front teeth. I suppose for a while it was my signature look. Wow - what a thing to be known for, huh?

So back to three years ago. I went to the orthodontist, plopped down a chunk of money and got braces. Yep braces like all teenagers have nowadays. I didn't realize you could get mouth claustrophia. Within a day, I realized that I couldn't just take them off when I wanted to. After a little bit of hyperventilation, the moment passed. 34 months later, I got my braces removed! Weird actually how they became sort of a security blanket to ensure that my teeth wouldn't become all crooked and jacked up again. But oh my, does it feel good.

The other part of this journey involves getting two 'dental' implants. {I've been told to be sure to use the word 'dental' in front of implants, so as not to confuse people with which type of 'implants' I am getting.} Anyway, in December, I had the oral surgery for the titantium posts to be inserted into my gums. Not as bad as it sounds or as I thought. I was a little nervous after all. Then last week came phase 2 of the 'dental' implants - impressions of the posts to create the abuttments and temporary crown (fake teeth really). I will get those on or about March 24. In a few months after that, I will have my teeth professionally whitened and my permanent crowns inserted. Yippeee!

In the meantime, me and my retainer are going everywhere together. The only time it's out is for me to feed my trap. Then it's time to brush and push it back in. The other reason I need to wear it right now is because I have two gaping holes in my mouth where the 'dental' implants will finally reside. I look like a hillbilly without the retainer. Kind of fun actually to watch people silently react. Hee Hee Got to have some fun somewhere!

Well, anyway. Thank God for dentists, orthos and oral surgeons. Because of them, not only do I have 'pretty teeth', but I have healthy teeth that should hopefully last the rest of my life. P.S. If I happen to die anytime soon, I'm donating the dental implants because they cost a fortune!

This entry was posted on 6:20 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments