For the Love of Carol and Helen  

Posted by Sheila Schroyer

Do you always know when you are getting a phone call you don't want to hear? I was in the middle of watching a movie late Saturday night when the phone rang. It was way past the normal time that my mother would be calling me, so I knew it had to be bad news. I wasn't prepared for the news - fearing the worst. Well, I finally summoned bravery enough to call her back. It was bad news indeed. My oldest brother has a son named Jordan who lives in Florida with his mom, Pam. The news was Pam's mother - Helen - had passed away on Friday April 4th. She had been battling cancer and now succumbed to this terrible disease. I remember Helen having stayed at her house in my early 20's. She was a lovely joyous lady who always made me feel welcome. It was like she never met a stranger. As I think about my nephew Jordan, I grieve for him as he wanders through the path of loss of a loved one. I am comforted to know she did love the Lord. Maybe one day that will comfort her closest family and friends.

On Sunday, I opened my e-mail to find one from a very dear old friend. The title had a name from my past that I hadn't heard in years - Carol. Carol was the best friend of my dear old friend. Carol had been feeling unwell for quite sometime. She too passed away on Friday April 4th from respiratory failure. I met Carol when I was a teenager. My friend and her painted ceramics every Tuesday evening. At one point, they invited me to join them. I felt honored - being 20 years their junior - to be included in their party. They talked to me like an adult, listed to what I had to say, and treated me like a friend. It was a great place of acceptance and love. Even though I haven't seen Carol in years, I will miss knowing she was here on earth. But as my dear friend said, it is better for Carol because she has been unwell for so long.

Times of death always make me think of fleeting life. No matter when it comes, it always seems to be here early. I find comfort knowing when people have loved the Lord. It provides me with peace and a different understanding into their death. It takes the edge off of the "earliness." While I will miss these people, heaven is far better than what we could ever imagine or dream. May they truly rest in the peace of our Lord.

This entry was posted on 5:39 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments