Runnin' with Bubba  

Posted by Sheila Schroyer


On the Denton Rail Trail. It calls my name everyday. It is a gravel trail that runs behind houses and through trees, winding through Corinth and up toward Denton. There are creeks and birds and bunnies and squirrels. And sometimes, an occasional snake. IKES! But what I love the most are the Cardinals. These beautiful red birds remind me of the beauty that God has created and given to us. As I run under the shade of the trees, the Cardinals flirt around chasing each other. The brilliant red ones are the males while the more brown shade of red ones are the females. They usually come in pairs and today I saw three pairs. I hope the spring time next year brings lots of baby Cardinals with more pairs to watch hop and fly to and fro.


It is on this trail that my dog and I both find peace and joy. My dog, Bubba, is so happy when I lace up my running shoes. I think he smells the dirt on the soles. He licks my face and practically knocks me down because he can't wait to get out to the trail. Once out of the car, he waits patiently for me to tie my key onto my shoe and head across the street. Over the years, I have trained him to run off leash. Ninety percent of the time, he's pretty good. He responds well to key words that require him to run by my side while others run or bike on by. As soon as they pass us though, he's off and sprinting down the trail. In the cool of the morning or the evening, the unsuspecting bunnies and squirrels get a surprise or two. Their hearts are racing as they try to hide in the weeds as Bubba goes passing by. But when he sees them, he's off. Just like a bird dog, chasing them and hopping up and down. It's hysterical. I swear he comes back with the biggest &#!+ eatin' grin on his face! Hee hee.....


I too come off the trail with a smile on my face - shortly after the final grimace that comes from running 5 or 6 miles. My body is feeling better and so is my mind. The peace I find on this trail is insurmountable. The outdoors, exercising, being alone, runnin' with my dog all remind me of the beauty in Creation. The Creation that only comes from our great and glorious King. Thanks to Him for these gifts that He has chosen to give to us. Take a moment and enjoy the peace.


This entry was posted on 10:15 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .